How Well Do You Know Your Roof System?
When most homeowners think about their roof, shingles pop to mind first.
If you fall into this category too, you aren’t wrong! Shingles are the most visual component, and can quickly steal the show. But it’s important to remember that as prominent as shingles may be, they’re just one piece of your whole roof system. To assume that if your shingles look decent your roof must be fine is putting all your eggs in one slightly rickety basket.
After all, nobody wants to be surprised by a roof failure. Proactive care, repair, and knowledge will protect you against a potentially expensive, but ultimately avoidable, headache.
What Does Your Roof System Include?
Here’s a snapshot of your roofing components:
- Leak barriers and roof deck protection work together to protect your home from moisture. Roof deck protection also protects against rain that can blow up under your shingles during particularly stormy weather.
- Evaluate and repair the roof deck as needed before the new shingles are installed.
- Starter strips that pin your shingles down around the edge of the roofline are designed to stand up to high winds.
- Ridge caps, following the angles of your roof at each peak (hips and ridges), providing both extra protection for these weaker points as well as a smooth aesthetic.
- Flashing helps to guide water away from vulnerable points where it could collect and find a way into your home.
- Attic ventilation! This one is so crucial we dedicated an entire article to the topic. Learn more about the value of a soffit to ridge ventilation system here!
In case you’re more of a visual person, be sure to watch this video created by GAF. It clearly and concisely discusses these vital roof system concepts.
Are You Ready for Roof Installation, Inspection, or Repair Here in Maryland?
Contact your team here at RoofPRO! It would be our pleasure to serve you and answer any questions you might have.
Request a Quote
Serving Baltimore, Washington & Surrounding Areas
From Our Blog
Have an Emergency?
Affordable Roof Replacements
As low as $89 per month or 0% financingGet Started