How Much Will a New Roof Cost in Maryland?
It happens to every single homeowner. Mother Nature and Father Time work their magic through wind, rain, sun, and snow, and you eventually need a new roof. If roof repairs are no longer feasible, here’s what you need to know to determine how much a new roof will cost.
What Factors Affect How Much a New Roof Will Cost?
There are two primary determining factors to consider when budgeting for a roof replacement.
The Size Of Roof
The first is obvious; it’s the size of your roof. The budget for a 3,000 square foot ranch style home will be considerably higher than that of a 1500 square foot two-story. More square footage to cover means more materials and more labor costs. As a homeowner, you don’t have any control over this aspect, but read on, as you do have some say in the second factor influencing cost.
The Type Of Material
The type of material you choose to replace your roof will affect your total cost. Homeowners today can opt for a variety of materials ranging from asphalt shingles to metal roofs and terra cotta or slate tiles. Each comes in at a different price point, but don’t feel that you’ll be restricted by design if you choose a less costly option. Today’s asphalt shingles feature beautiful architectural designs that will enhance your home.
Maryland Roofing Cost Estimates
Given variable factors such as size and materials, a typical townhouse roof replacement can vary from $4,000 to $12,000.
A rough estimate for a single family home roof replacement typically ranges from $5,000 to $25,000+.
Want to do a little more research on your own? According to the Remodeling Cost-vs-Value report of 2020, the average cost for a typical 30 square roof in Baltimore, MD is $24,700. Typically, single family homes are around 30 square. If you’d like to do the math yourself, a roofing square is a 100 square foot area of roof surface, or 10 feet by 10 feet.
Other Factors That Will Effect The Price
Aside from the square footage of your roof, the other items that will effect the cost of a roof replacement are as follow:
- How steep the pitch of the roof is. The steep the roof the harder it is to move around during the replacement. It slows down the process and increases the risk of danger.
- Difficult in accessing the building. For example, if the material being removed can easily be dropped into a dumpster, that that is ideal. But when it needs to be removed from the roof in restricted areas, causing extra labor or even extra equipment, such as a lift, this can increase the labor and equipment needed to complete the job.
- Quality of material. The third-party report listed above is using a three-tab shingle as the example, which is the least expensive shingle on the market. Other materials such as metal roofing can double the cost of a shingle roof.
- Accessories such as skylights. Whenever replacing a roof we highly recommend that you replace the skylights. Even if you keep them, you will probably still be charged for re-flashing them.
- The shape of your roof. In general, an easy up and over roof is simpler to replace but the more shapes, hips, ridges, penetrations, etc, that you have, the more labor and material will be needed.
- Upgrading the ventilation. With newer shingles and building codes, a roof these days requires a better ventilation system. This will in turn prolong the life of your roof and satisfy the manufacturer warranty. But upgrading the ventilation can be a huge project at times.
Finding a Quality Roofer is Job One
These are simply guidelines, and the best way to determine your cost is to contact a quality roofing professional for a free estimate. Choose a contractor that is part of your local community, and remember to check references and applicable licenses before you sign a contract. Ask about warranties and find out what's the best choice for you in particular. With the right contractor and proper materials, you’ll soon be under cover and ready for whatever Mother Nature has in mind.
Whether you need a full roof replacement or any other roofing services, RoofPro is ready to start your project as soon as you are. Call us today!
Request a Quote
Serving Baltimore, Washington & Surrounding Areas
From Our Blog
Have an Emergency?
Affordable Roof Replacements
As low as $89 per month or 0% financingGet Started