One of the main questions people ask before they buy a house is, “How is the roof?” Even if you have owned your home for quite a while, this is still an important question to ask. After all, your roof is the first layer of protection for your house. Replacing your roof is dependent on the current condition of your existing materials and roofing system. The roofing contractors at RoofPRO are here today with five ways to tell when a roof needs to be repaired or replaced – and how to tell the difference.
Roof Replacement or Roof Repair?
To truly determine if you are in need of roof replacement or roof repair, it’s best to call the local roofers at RoofPRO to make that decision for you. That said, there are some aspects you’ll be able to check on your own. Here’s everything we’ll be sure to check when we inspect your roof.
- Check the Age
- How old is your roof? The age of the shingle depends on the type. Some are built to last 25, 30, or even 50+ years. You may have a 30 year shingle on your roof, but if you don’t have the appropriate ventilation system, you can run into problems early. Your shingles will age quicker and need to be replaced in half the expected time.
- One easy way to test the roof is to see if your gutter has a lot of granules in it. When a shingle ages, it begins to lose granules, which then wash down into the gutter. You could also brush your hand against the roof to see if any granules come off. If it is easy for your hand to dislodge them, you will likely need a new roof.
- A missing component, such as underlayment, plywood clips, or poor installment are all aspects that will leave your roof susceptible to the elements. The only way to properly install these three elements if they are missing is to completely remove the roofing system. Without the underlayment, your roof is susceptible to wind driven rain and ice. Without plywood clips, your roof will potentially sag and become wavy.
- In some situations, there are so many small repairs that it costs more to do all of those little repairs than it would to just replace the entire roof. The main cost of a roof replacement comes from all of the finer details; the flashing and other technical, precise elements that require professionals. If your roof is getting older, it usually makes more sense to complete a full roof replacement since you would be due for one soon anyway.
- This is definitely something you would see! A roof at the end of its life will show some sort of wear in the shingles. This may appear as cracks or curls. It indicates that the shingle has started to dry up and lose structural integrity. It will allow any water to easily enter your house.
- If you have two layers of roofing material on your roof already and are considering laying a third, a roof replacement becomes necessary. Building code only allows for two layers of roofing on your home. The structure of your house is not built to withstand the weight of anything more than this. You may not be aware of how many layers you have on your roof; it is possible to install new layers in a way that completely covers the old one. We’ll be sure to check all areas of your roof for any extra materials.
Choose the Best Roofing Company in Maryland
The best thing to do if you are considering a roof replacement is to contact RoofPRO, LLC! We’ll answer your questions and get to work as soon as we can. To contact the best roofing company in Maryland, fill out our online form or give us a call at 401-428-6806.
Request a Quote
Serving Baltimore, Washington & Surrounding Areas
From Our Blog
Have an Emergency?
Affordable Roof Replacements
As low as $89 per month or 0% financingGet Started