Why Fall is a Great Time to Clean Out Your Gutters
The gutters are a vital component of your home, keeping water and debris off the roof, and moisture away from the foundation. But they sure aren’t glamorous, and hanging high up near the roof, most people never even look at them. A lot of homeowners easily overlook gutter maintenance and gutter repair. Most gutter and roofing experts will tell you that spring and fall are the best times to clean out the gutters. But, there are a few things you need to consider, like Maryland’s mid-atlantic climate so that you can plan the best time for a gutter cleaning in your home.
Your Gutter Cleaning is included with a Roof Replacement or Roof Tuneup!
Is a fall gutter cleanout the best time to clean the gutters?
Every six months is usually ideal for inspecting and cleaning the gutters, with a few exceptions.
- If there are a lot of trees, especially pine trees close to the house, you’ll want to inspect and clean the gutters every six months.
- Consider how much it snows and freezes. You might want to check out the gutters during the winter and clear them of snow, ice, and debris. Ice can create all sorts of problems for the roof.
What will happen if you don’t clean the gutters?
Clogged gutters can cause a range of issues for homeowners.
- Mold can grow and accumulate in clogged and dirty gutters, leading to increased numbers of mold spores within the house.
- Putting off cleaning the gutters can lead to issues with the roof, damaging the shingles and the bargeboards.
*What is a bargeboard?
- Gutters keep the water away from the foundation walls. When they are clogged or poorly maintained, water will pool around the foundation, leading to cracks, bulges, and mold overgrowth.
- Bugs and pests love to burrow in warm, moist leaves. Cleaning your gutters will prevent unexpected houseguests from invading your attics and upper floors.
- Water that pools and drips from poorly maintained or broken gutters can cause fall and slipping hazards in the driveway and walkways below.
What are the signs your gutters need replacing?
Many signs can point to aging, damaged gutters, and a fall gutter cleanout may not be what your gutters need. If you notice any of the following symptoms, the gutters need repairing or replaced.
- Rust and discoloration
- Sagging gutters
- Mold and moisture near the foundation
- Splits and cracks
Also, if you notice interior leaks, it could be the gutters and not the roof that is to blame.
Should you replace your gutters?
Regular fall gutter cleanouts will help prolong the life of your gutters. Regular maintenance helps extend the life of your gutters. Metal gutters will last up to 20 years, while vinyl and other materials will not last as long, especially if they have been neglected. If your gutters are looking worse for the wear, contact RoofPRO, LLC today. We take pride in offering Maryland homeowners, risk-free, hassle-free, and detailed estimates. Learn more by calling us today at 410-428-6806 or fill out our online form for a free quote.
Request a Quote
Serving Baltimore, Washington & Surrounding Areas
From Our Blog
Have an Emergency?
Affordable Roof Replacements
As low as $89 per month or 0% financingGet Started